Our student ministry is important to us. It is the main reason our church has remained in campustown and calls itself "by the Campus".
We have had a number of chaplains over the years, including Father Doug Haviland, Sarah Shofstall, and Father Matt Cobb. After a two year period in which the office was vacant, the Diocese of Iowa hired our music director, James Tener, to be part time chaplain. Jim has combined the students of the choir and the Episcopalian students on campus into a program which involves:
1. The Church Choir is made up of as many as 16 students and 3 parish adults. Most of the students receive a scholarship in exchange for their involvement in the choir. As members of the choir, these students can take advantage of Student Center programs.
2. Sunday Lunch/Supper: students gather together for lunch or supper on Sunday at a local restaurant for fellowship and discussion.
3. Event Nights: with the funds that the diocese provides for programming, we purchase tickets to Performing Arts events at the Iowa State Center or the Des Moines Civic Center. Students sign up for these shows and attend together.
4. Friends of St. John's Student Center: this is a small group of parishioners who help the chaplain by facilitating receptions and occasions to honor and acknowledge student involvement in our parish and choir and both.
5. Student members of St. John's also may serve on the vestry to encourage communication amongst the parish about issues that are particularly relevant to young adults.