The Anglican Communion

La Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico

Primate: 
The Most Revd Carlos Touche-Porter
Provincial Secretary: 
The Revd Canon Habacuc Ramos-Huerta

The Mexican Episcopal Church symbolically began with Mexico's war for independence in 1810. Religious reform in 1857 secured freedom of religion, separating the Roman Catholic Church from government and politics. In 1860, the newly formed Church of Jesus contacted the Episcopal Church in the United States, seeking leadership, guidance, and support. In 1958, the fourth missionary Bishop of Mexico was the first of the Church's Bishops to be consecrated on Mexican soil. The Church became an autonomous Province of the Anglican Communion in 1995.