A compilation of clergy biographies was first published in 1898. Over the years it was variously called Lloyd's Clerical Directory, The American Church Directory, and Stowe's Clerical Directory. In 1956 the name was changed to The Clergy Directory. In 1972 it was changed to The Episcopal Clergy Directory. Since 1974 the title has been Episcopal Clerical Directory. Beginning in 1956 The Clergy Directory was revised and published every three years following General Convention. Since 1977 the Directory has been published every two years by Church Publishing Incorporated.