The 1898 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Indiana. The new diocese included the following counties: Adams, Allen, Benton, Blackford, Carroll, Cass, DeKalb, Elkhart, Fulton, Grant, Howard, Huntington, Jasper, Jay, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Miami, Newton, Noble, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, White, and Whitby. The primary convention of the new diocese met at Trinity Cathedral, Michigan City, Apr. 25-26, 1899. It chose the name Diocese of Michigan City. On Apr. 25, 1899, Trinity Church, Michigan City, became Trinity Cathedral. It ceased to be the cathedral on Nov. 4, 1917. On May 20, 1919, the name was changed to the Diocese of Northern Indiana. On Jan. 30, 1957, St. James Church, South Bend, became St. James Cathedral.