Raised in Georgia, my roots run deep in central Kentucky. I come from generations of Kentucky teachers and farmers, spent summers in a community in Mercer County, and went to graduate school in Louisville.
I first encountered God through family, Sunday school teachers and youth workers. I continued to learn at Southern Seminary, General Seminary, and the University of the South, where I received a Doctor of Ministry. I have continued training in clergy care and congregational development.
Like many of you I was raised in another denomination; like all of you I’m blessed to be an Episcopalian. I lead a progressive, inviting parish, widely recognized in the city and diocese for beautiful worship, creative children’s programming, and ministries among and alongside diverse racial, religious, and cultural groups. My ministry as Dean includes five towns, seven parishes, 12 priests, and shared outreach ministry. I’m passionate about Christ’s work among us.
In the diocese I’ve worked with Christian formation, youth outreach, and parishes in transition, chaired the Standing Committee, and am a General Convention alternate. A pastoral presence, I value lay ministry, clergy development and wellness, and engaging youth with society. Kaye and I have three young adult children.
- Doctor of Ministry, Pastoral Leadership, University of the South, 2010 “Infusion: Youth Engaging Issues of Faith and Society”
- Sabbatical Grant for Pastoral Leaders, The Louisville Institute, 2007, “Refreshing the Roots of Ministry”
- Pastoral Care Specialist Certificate, Congregational Care and Development, 2004-05, The Pastoral Institute
- Leadership Columbus, 2001-02
- Diploma in Anglican Studies, General Theological Seminary, 1996
- MDiv, Southern Baptist Theological, 1977
- BA, History, University of Georgia, 1974
1999-present: Rector, St. Thomas, Columbus, GA, Convocational Dean 2003-present
1993-1999: Associate, St. George’s Episcopal, Griffin, GA
1990-1993: Ecumenical Ministry, Buckhead Christian Community Ministry, Atlanta, GA
1987-1990: Atlanta Baptist Association, Home Mission Board
1980-1986: Assistant, Morningside Baptist, Atlanta, GA
1978-1979: Chaplain, New Orleans Baptist Hospital, New Orleans, LA