Presiding Bishop Michael Curry has consistently invited Episcopalians to reimagine ourselves as the Episcopal branch of the Jesus Movement, a community of followers who live Jesus’ Way of Love. In these times of challenge and change, he offers this statement and the accompanying resources as a prayer, a vision, a fervent hope for who we seek to be and are already becoming.
COME AND SEE …
We are becoming a new and re-formed church,
the Episcopal branch of the Jesus Movement—
individuals, small gathered communities and congregations
whose way of life is the way of Jesus and his way of love,
no longer centered on empire and establishment,
no longer fixated on preserving institutions,
no longer shoring up white supremacy or anything else that hurts or harms any child of God.
By God’s grace …
… WE ARE BECOMING A CHURCH
THAT LOOKS AND ACTS LIKE JESUS.
What does this re-formation look like in practice?
We’ll know we’re moving forward when we…
- Center on Jesus Christ. His teachings, his example, his Spirit, his way of love and his way of life are the key to having loving, liberating and life-giving relationships with God, our neighbors, all of creation, and ourselves.
- Practice the selfless, self-giving way of the cross. The way of “cruciform love”—Jesus’ act of unselfish, sacrificial, self-offering love, or losing one’s life in order to gain it— is our way to authentic life.
- Unite around the practice of a rule of life in small gathered communities. These kinds of groups—small circles of people who support each other in following Jesus with intention and accountability— are necessary for cultivating Christ-centered life.
- Reclaim our Christian identity as a Spirit-driven, countercultural, underground movement. We must break free of the church’s identification with domination systems, empire, establishment, privilege, and social and cultural traditions that have held us captive— and get back in touch with the risk-taking, liberating ways of Jesus.
- Live and bear bold witness to the vision and values of Jesus. We point to the reality of the kingdom (the peaceable reign) of God, and we seek to embody the beloved community, where each person strives for and celebrates the dignity and flourishing of every beloved child of God as much as we do for ourselves.
Practices for a Church That Looks and Acts Like Jesus
Spread the Word! Social Media Graphics
Click images to download
Spread the Word! Printable Resource
Print this document at home or take it to a local printer. The printed document should be printed on 11 x 17″ paper and be folded twice to 8.5 x 5″.
This page is available in: Français
This page is available in: Español