, Memorial School of Theology. In Feb. 1955, Bishop James P. DeWolfe initiated a new form for alternative theological training by establishing the School of Theology of the Diocese of Long Island. It was a program designed for training older men for the ministry. The school met regularly at St. Paul's Boys School and in the Cathedral House in Garden City, New York. When this project ended, it was succeeded by the George Mercer, Jr., Memorial School of Theology. It was incorporated in Feb. 1961. It is the primary adult educational ministry of the Diocese of Long Island. The School offers courses in Christian education, preparation for licensed lay ministries, and a curriculum for persons preparing for ordained ministry. Classes at Mercer are held at times which are convenient for persons who are employed on a full-time basis. It is not a seminary accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).
George Mercer, Jr
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.