A coeducational, four-year liberal arts college founded by the Rt. Rev. Philander Chase, the first Bishop of Ohio, who wanted to establish "a school for the education of young men for the ministry." He went to England to raise money for the project and met two of his greatest benefactors, Lord Kenyon and Lord Bexley. On Nov. 3, 1824, Bishop Chase and the diocese founded "The Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Ohio" at Worthington. The school received its charter on Dec. 29, 1824. In 1828 the school was moved to Gambier as Kenyon College and Bexley Hall Theological Seminary. Bexley is no longer associated with Kenyon College. Kenyon is a member of the Association of Episcopal Colleges. See Bexley Hall; see Chase, Philander.
Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.