On Oct. 19, 1859, the House of Bishops created the Missionary District of the Northwest, including North Dakota. The Missionary District of Nebraska and Dakota was established at the 1865 General Convention. On Oct. 28, 1868, the House of Bishops created the Missionary District of Dakota. On Oct. 11, 1883, the House of Bishops divided the Missionary District of Dakota and created the Missionary District of North Dakota. The primary convocation of the Missionary District of North Dakota met at Gethsemane Church, Fargo, on Sept. 24-25, 1884. On Sept. 24-26, 1971, the primary convention of the Diocese of North Dakota met at All Saints' Church, Valley City. Gethsemane Church, Fargo, was set apart as Gethsemane Cathedral on Sept. 2, 1900.
North Dakota, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.