The 1910 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of California, and establish the Missionary District of San Joaquin. It includes the following counties: Alpine, Calaveras, Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne. The primary convocation of the Missionary District met at St. James' Church, Fresno, May 9, 1911. On Jan. 28, 1925, St. Paul's Pro-Cathedral, Fresno, was set apart as St. James' Cathedral. The primary convention of the Diocese of San Joaquin met at St. James' Cathedral, Fresno, Nov. 4, 1961.
San Joaquin, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.