The 1982 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Tennessee into three dioceses-Tennessee, East Tennessee, and West Tennessee. The Diocese of West Tennessee includes the following counties: Benton, Carroll, Chester, Crockett, Decatur, Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Hardin, Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, McNairy, Obion, Shelby, Tipton, and Weakley. The primary convention of the diocese was held at St. Mary's Cathedral, Memphis, on Oct. 21-22, 1982. St. Mary's became the cathedral of the Diocese of Tennessee on Jan. 1, 1871, and continues as the cathedral of the Diocese of West Tennessee.
West Tennessee, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.