The Episcopal Church invites applications for grants to assist with ministries with Young Adult and Campus Ministries throughout the church.
The online application is available here.
We have adapted the application process to include discernment and planning for writing your grant application. We hope it is an invitation for you and your community to consider how Young Adult and Campus Ministry in the Episcopal Church can minister with young adults on and off college campuses, including Community Colleges and Tribal College Campuses, non-traditional degree programs, in the military, and those who are not in college. This new process is designed to help you discern where and how God is calling your community to serve young adults and whether now is the right time to apply for a grant.
- Use this downloadable document as a guide for your grant discernment and planning process.
- Once you have had a chance to discern, use the grant application.
- Use this budget form.
- To submit your grant application, click here to upload both documents online.
These grants are intended to provide funding for an Episcopal ministry (or ecumenical ministry with an Episcopal presence) in a diocese, congregation or community college/tribal college/university campus that is currently engaging or seeking a new relationship with young adults on and off college campuses.
Amount, Duration, and Categories of Grants
A total of $128,000 is available for this cycle, with a total of $400,000 available this triennium. These grants are for the 2017-18 academic year. Deadline for submitting grants is April 10. There are three categories of grants:
- Leadership Grant: to establish a new, restore a dormant, or reenergize a current campus ministry. Grant will range from $20-30,000 and can be used over a two-year period.
- Campus Ministry Grants: to provide seed money to assist in the start-up of new, innovative campus ministries or to enhance a current ministry. Grants will range from $3-5,000.
- Young Adult Ministry Grants: to provide seed money to assist in the start-up of new, innovative young adult ministries or to enhance a current ministry. Grants range from $3-5,000.
- be received on or before April 10, 2017 by 10 pm Eastern time.
- be no more than five pages in length (which includes the summary page, description, goals, and evaluation and continuation of ministry), include the budget worksheet (no more than two pages long), and follow the grant format.
- be submitted online using this link. If you cannot submit the application online, please contact us to make other arrangements.
- show how the diocese, congregation, and/or campus ministry will support the ministry at the end of the grant term.
- be approved by the bishop of the diocese in which the ministry is to be located. Each diocese that receives a grant shall appoint someone to oversee the grant and make appropriate financial reports to The Episcopal Church and the Office of Young Adult and Campus Ministries.
In addition to the above criteria, the selection process will also reflect several preferences. Though these are not requirements, we will give preference to projects that:
- are collaborative and bring members of the community together.
- bring new learning into a community.
- prepare young adults for leadership and/or provide training for young adults.
- reach those who are traditionally least likely to seek out a campus ministry or other Episcopal young adult ministry.
- address the priorities of General Convention.
- promote reconciliation, evangelism or environmental stewardship.
The specific ways you propose to use grant funds will be a major factor in the selection of projects for funding.
- Include a detailed budget that contains both expense and income to conduct the program.
- Prepare your budget using this spreadsheet. This is the budget for your grant application, not the budget for your organization.
- Include estimates of committed contributions in kind, such as space and volunteer time.
- Income should include participant fees and contributions, as applicable. Be specific and detailed about the budget for your project, including any other anticipated revenue.
- Detail any additional grants that are being sought, and identify whether these funds are confirmed, anticipated, or pending.
Grant Cycle Timeline
- Early March: Gather a team to discern
- Mid-March: Begin writing your grant if you have discerned that this is the year to apply.
- April 10: Grant Applications are due by 10pm Eastern Time
- May: Decisions announced
Expectations and Further Information
Ministers in charge of ministry grants are expected to attend any churchwide gatherings of campus or young adult ministers sponsored by The Episcopal Church during the term of the grant. Our Young Adult and Campus Ministry Leadership Conference is being held June 25-28, 2017 in Austin, Texas.
Ministries receiving grants may be assigned a mentor for the duration of the grant period.
Please fill out the application in full and submit it online using this link. Please do not email your application.
If you have further questions, please contact The Rev. Shannon Kelly, Officer for Young Adult and Campus Ministry at email@example.com or Valerie Harris, Formation Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org.