EYE17: a historic event; EJE19 Evento de Jóvenes Episcopales
EYE17 – the 2017 Episcopal Youth Event – marked a historic event with the large participation of youth and adults. In July, more than 1400 youth, adult mentors, workshop leaders, speakers and volunteers from across the Episcopal Church gathered for EYE17 in Oklahoma City, OK.
Sponsored by the Episcopal Church Office of Formation in partnership with the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma, EYE17 was geared for youth in grades 9-12 during the 2016-2017 academic year and their adult leaders. It happened on the campus of the University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond.
The theme of EYE17 was Path to Peace, grounded in the Beatitudes as found in Matthew’s Gospel. Throughout EYE17, Path to Peace served as a call for participants to focus on peacemaking and the ways each member of the Episcopal branch of the Jesus Movement can pursue a path to peace.
A report on EYE17 is available here.
A video and other resources from EYE17 are available here. The video features vivid scenes of activities, quotes from youth, adults, bishops, and highlights of the entire event, including; key speakers; worship services; and a candlelight vigil at Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum.
"It's not only exciting and energizing, it is spiritually renewing," Presiding Bishop Michael Curry commented about EYE17 on the video.
"They are the most amazing group of young people," President of the House of Deputies the Rev. Gay Clark Jennings said.
The four-minute video is ideal for sharing with youth and adults, as well as for congregational discussion groups.
By the numbers
Here’s a look at EYE17 by the numbers:
- 1,400 Episcopalians participated.
- They represented 95 Episcopal dioceses including Alaska, Hawai’i, Micronesia (Guam), and the Convocation of Episcopal Church in Europe.
- 755 youth participated as members of diocesan delegations.
- 217 adult mentors participated.
- More than 300 staffed the event in various roles including as chaplains, dorm crew, 34 workshop leaders, four medical staff, 22 Episcopal Church staff, and local hosts and volunteers.
- 35 bishops attended EYE17.
- 17 individuals, representing Episcopal organizations and offices, participated as exhibitors.
- 360 participants attended the Junior/Senior dinner, sponsored by the Office of Young Adult and Campus Ministries. Info here
- 276 participants attended the New Community Luncheon, sponsored by the Offices of Latino Ministries, Indigenous Ministries, Black Ministries, and Asiamerican Ministries. Info here
- 16 youth and eight adult mentors served on the EYE17 Planning Team, which met in-person four times and in countless video/phone meetings. Info here.
- 35 adults served on the EYE17 Pastoral Care Team, which was designed to give adults, especially young adults, in the Episcopal Church an opportunity to serve at EYE17 in a new capacity. Info here.
- 45 Praxis sessions were offered on a variety of topics. Info here.
EJE19: Evento de Jóvenes Episcopales
Thanks to an Episcopal Church Constable Fund Grant (info here), the Office of Formation, in partnership with Province IX Leadership, The Episcopal Church Office of Global Partnerships, and The Episcopal Church Office of Latino/Hispanic Ministries, is planning a Spanish language Province IX Youth and Young Adult Event for 2019, Evento de Jóvenes Episcopales.
Representatives from each diocese, along with the Province IX Coordinator the Rev. Connie Sanchez, are meeting at the end of November to continue developing plans for this historic event. More info is available here.
For information contact Wendy Johnson.