New Episcopal Church animated video details the importance of January referendum in Sudan
A new animated video detailing the situation in Sudan and the critical nature of the upcoming referendum is available from the Episcopal Church Office of Communication at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sudan.
A Sudanese-wide referendum is slated for January 9, 2011 which, if successful, will establish a separate Southern Sudan with full rights to self-determination.
At four minutes long, the new animated video, enhanced with music, is ideal as an educational tool for learning more about Sudan and for understanding the enormity of the situation.
"The situation in Sudan can be overwhelming, and we felt it was important to present information in a clear, understanding manner for all," noted Michael Collins, director of digital media. "The use of animation is key is delivering a concise, understandable message."
Among the facts presented in the new video are:
- Sudan is Africa"s largest country in area and is the tenth-largest country in the world.
- Civil wars lasting about 40 years came to an end in 2005 with the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA), which gave the south political autonomy for six years, to be followed in 2011 by a referendum on secession.
- About 17% of the population of Sudan lives on less than $1.25 US per day.
- There are a myriad of issues standing in the way of peace, among them: just revenue sharing from oil; definition of borders; usage rights of the Nile which divide the country; repayment of debt to the world bank; recognition of religious and civil rights for all Sudanese; and full cessation of violence in Darfur.
- The Episcopal Church of the Sudan is based in the southern city of Juba and has been a long-standing and outspoken voice for peace.
The animated video can be used for discussions, Bible Study, at coffee hour, and other forums.
"The video is shareable and embeddable and we encourage people to do just that," Collins added, "We want people to share this with their family and their friends."
The new video joins the other compressive resources posted on A Season of Prayer for Sudan for use by individuals, churches, groups, and dioceses to better understand the situation and to engage in the process.
Other resources include:
- Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori"s video message
- Fact sheets about the Episcopal Church in Sudan, the election and the possible outcomes
- Map of affected area
- Video of Episcopal Church of Sudan Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul
- Links to info and organizations including Episcopal Public Policy Network (EPPN), American Friends of the Episcopal Church of the Sudan (AFRECS), the Episcopal Church in the Sudan, and dioceses/churches.
A Season of Prayer for Sudan resources are available here: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sudan
The Episcopal Church welcomes all who worship Jesus Christ in 109 dioceses and three regional areas in 16 nations. The Episcopal Church is a member province of the worldwide Anglican Communion.
Resources for A Season of Prayer: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sudan
Episcopal Church in Sudan: http://www.sudan.anglican.org/
The Episcopal Church: www.episcopalchurch.org