The Episcopal Parish of the Mediator-Redeemer has an interesting history. Originally two distinct parishes the congregations made the decision to merge a number of years ago.
The Church of Our Redeemer in Magnolia, MS was founded in 1868. Some of the funds for the construction of the church came as a gift from the Coyngham family of Pennsylvania. Judge William Coyngham was injured and passed away in Magnolia while traveling through the town. When his son arrived he asked for an Episcopal priest and, finding none, offered to help with the building of a church.
The Church of the Mediator in McComb was organized in 1873 but the first service inside the church wasn't held until July 28, 1880. A major remodeling of the original church structure took place in 1930. After a fire in 1943 most of the interior of the church had to be replaced although the altar and reredos were spared.
The two parishes joined together in 1977 becoming the yoked Parish of the Mediator-Redeemer. Traditionally yoked parishes still exist as separate units functioning together. While this was the way Mediator-Redeemer began over time the congregation moved from considering itself two congregations joined together to thinking of itself as one congregation with two buildings. Now, services take place at each building on most Sundays: 8:00 AM in Magnolia and 10:30 AM in McComb. The two churches could not be more different in architecture but have both remained deeply holy places of worship.
Church of the Mediator, McComb, MS
Church of the Redeemer, Magnolia, MS