The Rt. Rev. Carl Walter Wright
VII Bishop Suffragan for the Armed Forces and Federal Ministries.
A native of Baltimore, Maryland, Wright was elected Bishop Suffragan at the Fall 2016 House of Bishops Meeting in Detroit Michigan and will be consecrated Bishop at the Washington National Cathedral on February 11, 2017, by The Most Rev. Michael Curry, Presiding Bishop and Primate of The Episcopal Church. Wright has been active in the Episcopal Church both as a civilian priest and an Air Force Chaplain.
Wright enlisted in the US Air Force in 1978. Following his initial enlistment, Wright was commissioned as an Infantry Officer in the Maryland Army National Guard, and U.S. Army Reserve. In 1993 Wright was commissioned as a Chaplain, US Air Force until his retirement as a Lieutenant Colonel in 2011.
From Bishop Wright
- Homily for Diocesan Convention of the Diocese of Rio GrandeBy: The Right Revd. Carl Walter Wright -The diocese of the Rio Grande is meeting again in the convention! The thought occurred to me that one thing we Americans love to do – especially the Episcopalians- is to CONVENE! We […]
- Veterans Day Greeting 2020By: The Right Revered Carl Walter Wright This year I bring Veterans Day Greetings to our students; to the Cathedral Community; to the dioceses of our church, and – especially in this pandemic year – to our first responders; and […]
- Cedric Earl Mills: A Prince of the ChurchBy: The Right Revd. Carl Walter Wright Old School Meets New School I remember well the day I “met” Cedric Earl Mills (1903-1992): it was as if two different worlds had come together. I had driven down to his pleasant […]
- Letter from Bishop Wright – June 4, 2020Statement from Bishop Wright Dear Episcopal Chaplains: I write to you all today in a time of terrible national strife and anger. My purpose is to supplement the message clearly expressed by our Presiding Bishop in the aftermath of terrible […]
- Everything Must Change: 2020 New Year GreetingBy: The Right Rev. Carl Walter Wright Greetings in this New Year of Our Lord 2020. Please forgive me if you have seen a similar message before; but these thoughts came to me this time last year and, as near as […]
The Armed Forces Bishops: Reflections on Previous Bishops for the Armed Forces and Federal Ministries
by the Rt. Rev. Carl W. Wright
Ours is a uniquely demanding Episcopate whose diocese is global. The people I’m about to describe sacrificed much for God and country. In their role as Bishop they were quite clearly missionaries.