Arkansas, Diocese of
The House of Bishops nominated and the House of Deputies confirmed Leonidas Polk as Missionary Bishop of Arkansas and the Indian Territory. Polk was consecrated on Dec. 9, 1838, and served until Oct. 16, 1841, when he was elected Bishop of Louisiana. From Oct. 18, 1841, until Oct. 10, 1844, James Hervey Otey was Acting Missionary Bishop. In 1859 Arkansas became a part of the Missionary District of the South West. On Nov. 1-3, 1862, the primary convention of the Diocese was held at Christ Church, Little Rock, and the Diocese voted to join the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate states. At the close of the Civil War Arkansas again became a part of the Missionary District of the South West. On Apr. 24-27, 1871, the primary convention was held at Christ Church, Little Rock, and on Oct. 19, 1884, Trinity Cathedral, Little Rock, was established. Arkansas was the second diocese to have an African American suffragan bishop, Edward Thomas Demby. The diocese includes the entire state.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.