Atlanta, Diocese of
The General Convention of 1907 voted to divide the Diocese of Georgia, and the primary convention of the Diocese of Atlanta met at Christ Church, Macon, Dec. 4-5, 1907. The Diocese of Atlanta consists of the following counties: Baldwin, Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Bibb, Butts, Carroll, Catoosa, Chattahoochee, Chattooga, Cherokee, Clarke, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, Crawford, Dade, Dawson, Dekalb, Douglas, Elbert, Fannin, Fayette, Floyd, Forsyth, Franklin, Fulton, Gilmer, Gordon, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hall, Hancock, Haralson, Harris, Hart, Heard, Henry, Houston, Jackson, Jasper, Jones, Lamar, Lincoln, Lumpkin, Macon, Madison, Marion, Meriwether, Monroe, Morgan, Murray, Muscogee, Newton, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Paulding, Peach, Pickens, Pike, Polk, Putnam, Rabun, Rockdale, Schley, Spaulding, Stephens, Talbot, Taliaferro, Taylor, Towns, Troup, Union, Upson, Walker, Walton, Warren, White, Whitfield, and Wilkes. On May 6, 1897, St. Philip's Church, Atlanta, was designated St. Philip's Cathedral. It was consecrated on the Feast of St. Philip and St. James, May 1, 1904. When the Diocese of Georgia split in two in 1907, St. Philip's became the cathedral for the new Diocese of Atlanta.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.