It was founded on Nov. 4, 1824, by Bishop Philander Chase and the Diocese of Ohio as “The Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Ohio.” It was incorporated by the Ohio State Assembly on Dec. 29, 1824, and opened at Worthington. In 1828 it moved to Gambier as Kenyon College and Bexley Hall Theological Seminary, named in honor of Lord Bexley (Nicholas Vansittart, 1766-1851), a benefactor. On July 1, 1968, Bexley Hall was separated from Kenyon College and moved to Rochester, New York. It is part of Colgate Rochester Divinity School/Bexley Hall/Crozer Theological Seminary and St. Bernard's Institute. See Chase, Philander; see Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.