Brown, William Montgomery
(Nov. 6, 1855-Oct. 31, 1937). Deposed bishop. He was born in Wayne County, near Norville, Ohio. Brown attended Seabury Hall, Faribault, Minnesota, and then studied theology at Bexley Hall, Gambier, Ohio. He was ordained deacon on June 17, 1883, and priest on May 22, 1884. Brown served Grace Church, Galion, Ohio, from 1883 until 1891. He was then made general missionary of the Diocese of Ohio with the title of archdeacon. On June 24, 1898, he was consecrated Bishop Coadjutor of Arkansas, and he became the second Bishop of Arkansas on Sept. 5, 1899. Brown was given a leave of absence by the diocese on May 11, 1911, and on Apr. 11, 1912, he resigned as bishop of the diocese. Later he became a bishop in the Old Catholic Church. After his resignation as an Episcopal bishop, Brown became an advocate of communism and published books about it. On Oct. 12, 1925, Brown was deposed from the ordained ministry of the Episcopal Church by the House of Bishops. He died in Galion, Ohio.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.