Central America, Missionary District of
On Nov. 13, 1956, the House of Bishops voted to divide the Missionary District of the Panama Canal Zone and create the Missionary District of Central America. It included the Republic of Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Jurisdiction for Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras was transferred to the Episcopal Church from the Diocese of British Honduras on June 5, 1957. The Missionary District of Central America ceased to exist on Sept. 18, 1967, when the House of Bishops divided it into the five Missionary Districts of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.