Central and South Mexico, Diocese of
The General Convention of 1904 established the Missionary District of Mexico. The 1972 General Convention divided the Missionary District of Mexico into the Missionary District of Central and South Mexico, the Missionary District of Western Mexico, and the Missionary District of Northern Mexico. All three of these Missionary Districts became dioceses. In 1988 the House of Bishops divided the Diocese of Central and South Mexico into the Diocese of Mexico, the Diocese of Cuernavaca, and the Diocese of Southeastern Mexico. The General Convention of 1994 granted the five Mexican dioceses permission to withdraw from the Episcopal Church and form an autonomous province. The Anglican Church of Mexico came into existence on Jan. 1, 1995.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.