Central Florida, Diocese of
The General Convention of 1969 voted to divide the Diocese of South Florida into three dioceses, one of which was temporarily called the Diocese of South Florida. The primary convention met at the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Orlando, on Dec. 3, 1969, and changed the name to the Diocese of Central Florida. St. Luke's Church, Orlando, had been designated the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of South Florida on Mar. 31, 1902. Central Florida consists of the following counties: Brevard, Citrus, Hardee, Highlands, Indian River, Lake, Marion, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Polk, St. Lucie, Seminole, Sumter, and Volusia.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.