Central New York, Diocese of
The General Convention of 1868 voted to divide the Diocese of Western New York and create the Diocese of Central New York. Its primary convention met at Trinity Church, Utica, and Grace Church, Utica, on Nov. 10-12, 1868. On Nov. 13, 1971, St. Paul's Church, Syracuse, was set apart as St. Paul's Cathedral. The Cathedral Institutes were signed on Dec. 7, 1971, and the Service of Dedication was held on May 25, 1972. The Diocese consists of the following counties: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, Seneca, Tioga, and Tompkins.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.