Central Pennsylvania, Diocese of
1) The General Convention of 1904 voted to divide the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania. The primary convention of the Diocese of Harrisburg met at St. James Church, Lancaster, on Nov. 29-30, 1904. On Jan. 27, 1932, St. Stephen's Church, Harrisburg, became St. Stephen's Cathedral. The name was changed to the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania on May 1, 1971. It consists of the following counties: Adams, Bedford, Blair, Centre, Clinton, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Lancaster, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Potter, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga, Union, and York. St. Stephen's Church, Harrisburg, became St. Stephen's Cathedral on Jan. 27, 1932. 2) The current Diocese of Bethlehem was known as the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania from Nov. 8, 1871, until May 26, 1909.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.