An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church

Church Review and Ecclesiastical Register, The

This periodical was published under five different titles. It was at various times quarterly, monthly, and bimonthly. From Apr. 1848 until Apr. 1858, and from Apr. until Oct. 1889, it was called The Church Review and Ecclesiastical Register. From July 1858 until Jan. 1870, it was The American Quarterly Church Review and Ecclesiastical Register. It was called The American Quarterly Church Review from Apr. 1870 until Oct. 1871; The American Church Review from Jan. 1872 until Apr. 1885; and finally The Church Review from July 1885 until Jan. 1889, and from Jan. 1890 until Oct. 1891. Its founder and first editor was Nathaniel Smith Richardson. He edited it from 1848 until 1868. Other editors were John McDowell Leavitt, 1868-1871, M. H. Mallory, 1872-1874, Edward B. Boggs, 1875-1880, and Henry Mason Baum, 1881-1891. It was one of the Episcopal Church's major publications in the nineteenth century. Later issues carried the statement, “Questions Are Discussed Falling Within The Province Of Religion, Ethics, Art and Literature.” Church Scholiast. With the Oct. 1885 issue, the Nashotah Scholiast was changed to the Church Scholiast. The Church Scholiast was published by the Bishop Welles Brotherhood at Nashotah House until Sept. 1888.

Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.