Daniel Baker College
The Presbyterians established Daniel Baker College in 1888 at Brownwood, Texas. In 1930 the school became an independent, self-supporting institution. On June 1, 1950, the Rt. Rev. Charles Avery Mason, Bishop of Dallas, took over the school. Daniel Baker College was also called “The Episcopal College of the Southwest.” When Canterbury College in Danville, Indiana, closed in 1951 some of its students transferred to Daniel Baker. The last class graduated in June 1953, and the school closed. See Canterbury College.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.