DeLancey Divinity School
William Heathcote DeLancey (1797-1865), the first Bishop of Western New York, opened a diocesan school of divinity at Geneva, New York, in 1850. The Rev. Dr. William Dexter Wilson (1816-1900) was in charge of it. It operated until 1858. On Feb. 1, 1861, DeLancey opened the Diocesan Training School at Geneva, under the direction of the Rev. James Rankine (1827-1896). In 1866, after the death of Bishop DeLancey, it was named the DeLancey Divinity School. In 1920 it moved from Geneva to Buffalo. It closed in 1935.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.