Georgia, Diocese of
The primary convention of the Diocese of Georgia was held Feb. 24-28, 1823, at St. Paul's Church, Augusta. The first bishop of the diocese was not consecrated until 1841. The diocese left the Protestant Episcopal Church on July 3, 1861, and joined the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States of America. It reunited with the Protestant Episcopal Church on Aug. 12, 1865. The General Convention of 1907 voted to divide the Diocese of Georgia and establish the Diocese of Atlanta. The Diocese of Georgia includes the following counties: Appling, Atkinson, Bacon, Baker, Ben Hill, Berrien, Bleckley, Brantley, Brooks, Bryan, Bulloch, Burke, Calhoun, Camden, Candler, Charlton, Chatham, Clay, Clinch, Coffee, Colquitt, Columbia, Cook, Crisp, Decatur, Dodge, Dooly, Dougherty, Early, Echols, Effingham, Emanuel, Evans, Glascock, Glynn, Grady, Irwin, Jeff Davis, Jefferson, Jenkins, Johnson, Lanier, Laurens, Lee, Liberty, Long, Lowndes, McDuffie, McIntosh, Miller, Mitchell, Montgomery, Pierce, Pulaski, Quitman, Randolph, Richmond, Screven, Seminole, Stewart, Sumter, Tattnall, Telfair, Terrell, Thomas, Tift, Toombs, Treutlen, Turner, Twiggs, Ware, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Wheeler, Wilcox, Wilkinson, and Worth. On Nov. 14, 1993, St. Paul's Church, Savannah, was set apart as the pro-cathedral of the diocese.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.