Glebe House, Woodbury, Connecticut
Site of the first episcopal election in the United States. Built around 1750, Glebe House was the rectory for St. Paul's Church, Woodbury. The Rev. John Rutgers Marshall lived there from 1771 until 1785. On Mar. 25, 1783, ten clergy met there and selected Samuel Seabury and Jeremiah Leaming as candidates for Bishop of Connecticut. Eventually Glebe House was privately owned. In 1892 three Connecticut clergy bought it for $500 as a gift for their bishop, John Williams. In 1923 Edward C. Acheson, Bishop Coadjutor of Connecticut, formed the Seabury Society for the Preservation of Glebe House. It is now the Glebe House Museum. See Consecration of Samuel Seabury, First American Bishop, Feast of.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.