Jefferson College, Washington, Mississippi
The first chartered college in Mississippi. The charter was granted on May 13, 1802. It began operation as an academy. It operated as a college, 1816-1821, and then reverted to academy status. Three Episcopal priests served as its president. It is no longer in existence.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.