Racine College, Racine, Wisconsin
The Episcopal Diocesan Council of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1851, felt the need for an Episcopal college in southeastern Wisconsin, to prepare young men for the seminary at Nashotah House, as well as to prepare others for professional and business careers. The Rev. Joseph H. Nichols, rector of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Racine, with other Episcopal priests and local businessmen, became the moving spirit of the project, and raised donations of $10,000 and ten acres of land, which established the location of the college in Racine.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.