St Mary’s Hall, Burlington, New Jersey
In 1836 Bishop George Washington Doane of New Jersey bought an existing school for girls in Burlington and renamed it St. Mary's Hall. The new school opened on May 1, 1837, with fifty-two students. In 1849 the assets of St. Mary's Hall were transferred to the Trustees of Burlington College, which Doane had founded in 1846 for boys. The corporate name of the school became Trustees of Burlington College (St. Mary's Hall). In 1933 the charter was amended, and St. Mary's was governed directly by the Diocese of New Jersey. As a result of the dissolution of the official connection between the diocese and the school in 1955, it returned to its status as a private independent school. In 1966 Doane Academy for boys was established as a coordinate school on the same campus. In 1974 the two schools were completely united with the name St. Mary's Hall-Doane Academy, A College Preparatory School. In 1989 Doane Academy was dropped from the name.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.