St Paul’s College, Texas
The Rev. Charles Gillette (1813-Mar. 6, 1869) founded St. Paul's College. It opened on Jan. 5, 1852, at Anderson, as the Anderson Female Institute and Texas Diocesan School. It received a charter on Feb. 4, 1853, as St. Paul's College. On Apr. 5, 1855, the board of trustees voted to move the school to Austin, but it closed in 1856. It was re-established at Brenham and opened on Jan. 1, 1868. St. Paul's closed in 1870. Plans to re-open the school at Hempstead were never realized.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.