St Philip’s College, San Antonio, Texas
St. Philip's College was founded in 1898 by the Rt. Rev. James Steptoe Johnston (1843-1924), the second Bishop of West Texas, as St. Philip's Normal and Industrial School, to prepare African American people for the responsibilities of citizenship. In Sept. 1902 Artemisia Bowden (1884-1969) took charge of the school, and in 1927 it became St. Philip's Junior College and Vocational Institute. By 1940 the diocese had relinquished all ties with the school. In Aug. 1942 St. Philip's ceased to function as a private institution and became a municipal junior college affiliated with San Antonio College.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.