Texas, Diocese of
From Dec. 8, 1838, until Oct. 16, 1841, the Republic of Texas was under the episcopal jurisdiction of Leonidas Polk, Missionary Bishop of Arkansas and the Indian Territory. Texas was at that time a foreign mission. Polk also served Texas when he was Bishop of Louisiana. On Oct. 26, 1844, George Washington Freeman was consecrated the Missionary Bishop of Arkansas and the Indian Territory and was “to exercise Episcopal functions over the missions of this Church in the Republic of Texas.” The Diocese of Texas was organized at Christ Church, Matagorda, on Jan. 1, 1849, and Freeman served it as bishop until his death. On Oct. 26, 1874, the General Convention divided Texas into the Diocese of Texas and the Missionary Districts of Northern Texas and Western Texas. The Diocese of Texas includes the following counties: Anderson, Angelina, Austin, Bastrop, Bell, Brazoria, Brazos, Burleson, Burnet, Chambers, Cherokee, Colorado, Coryell, Falls, Fayette, Fort Bend, Freestone, Galveston, Gregg, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Houston, Jasper, Jefferson, Orange, Lampasas, Lee, Leon, Liberty, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Matagorda, McLennan, Milam, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Panola, Polk, Robertson, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Smith, Travis, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, Waller, Washington, Wharton and Williamson. On Jan. 24, 1949, Christ Church, Houston, was set apart as Christ Cathedral.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.