Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Diocese of South Carolina
The 1858 Convention of the Diocese of South Carolina authorized a diocesan seminary and elected a board of trustees. It was located in Camden where Bishop Thomas Davis resided. It opened on Jan. 18, 1859, with three students and four faculty members. In Oct. 1859 William Porcher DuBose entered this seminary. It closed on June 30, 1862, because of the Civil War. It reopened in Oct. 1866 in Spartanburg, on the campus of what had been St. John's College. It suspended operation in Oct. 1868. The seminary trained about twelve men for the ordained ministry.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.