Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut
Trinity College began as Washington College. The charter was granted on May 16, 1823. On Sept. 23, 1824, Washington College opened with nine students. The founder and first president, 1823-1831, was Bishop Thomas Church Brownell of Connecticut. In 1845 the name was changed to Trinity College. In 1968 the trustees voted to withdraw from the Association of Episcopal Colleges.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.