Washington College, Chestertown, Maryland
College formerly associated with the Episcopal Church. In early 1780 the Rev. William Smith became the principal of Kent County Free School, Chestertown, Maryland, which began instruction around 1729-1730. Kent School became Washington College on May 24, 1782, by virtue of a charter granted by the Maryland General Assembly “in honorable and perpetual memory of his Excellency George Washington the illustrious and virtuous commander-in-chief of the armies of the U.S.” The college held its first commencement on May 14, 1783. Smith was succeeded by the Rev. Colin Ferguson (1751-1806), who served as principal from 1789 to 1806. Two other Episcopal principals were the Rev. Jacob Goldsmith Cooper (deposed in 1820), 1816-1817, and the Rev. Timothy Clowes, 1823-1827. The school is no longer associated with the Episcopal Church.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.