Washington, Diocese of
The 1895 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Maryland and form the Diocese of Washington. The new diocese includes the District of Columbia and four Maryland counties: Charles, Prince George's, Montgomery, and St. Mary's. The primary convention of the Diocese was held at St. Andrew's Church, Washington, on Dec. 4-6, 1895. On Sept. 29, 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone for the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul. On Sept. 30, 1990, the cathedral was consecrated. It is also called Washington Cathedral or the National Cathedral. This cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of Washington as well as the seat of the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. See Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in the City and Diocese of Washington, The.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.