West Texas, Diocese of
On Oct. 26, 1874, the General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Texas and form the Missionary District of Northern Texas and the Missionary District of Western Texas. The primary convention of the Missionary District of Western Texas met at St. Mark's Church, San Antonio, on May 6-8, 1875. The primary convention of the Diocese of West Texas met at St. Mark's Church, San Antonio, on May 10-15, 1904. The 1910 General Convention formed the Missionary District of North Texas from the Diocese of Dallas and West Texas. The Diocese of West Texas includes the following counties: Aransas, Atascosa, Bandera, Bee, Bexar, Blanco, Brooks, Caldwell, Calhoun, Cameron, Comal, Concho, Crockett, DeWitt, Dimmit, Duval, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Goliad, Gonzales, Guadelupe, Hay, Hidalgo, Jackson, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kendall, Kenedy, Kerr, Kimble, Kinney, Kleberg, Lavaca, LaSalle, Live Oak, Llano, Mason, Maverick, McCullough, McMullen, Medina, Menard, Nueces, Real, Refugio, San Patricio, San Saba, Schleicher, Starr, Sutton, Uvalde, Val Verde, Victoria, Webb, Willacy, Wilson, Zapata, and Zavala. The diocese does not have a cathedral.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.