Western Colorado, Missionary District of
The 1892 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Colorado and establish the Missionary District of Western Colorado. The Missionary District of Western Colorado included the following counties: Archuleta, Delta, Dolores, Eagle, Garfield, Grand, Gunnison, Hinsdale, La Plata, Mesa, Montezuma, Montrose, Ouray, Pitkin, Rio Blanca, Routt, San Juan, San Miguel, and Summit. The primary convocation of the Missionary District met at the Church of the Good Shepherd, Gunnison, on Sept. 19-21, 1893. In 1895 the General Convention placed the Missionary District of Western Colorado under the jurisdiction of the Missionary Bishop of Nevada and Utah, and changed the name to the Missionary District of Nevada, Utah, and Western Colorado. In 1907 the House of Bishops voted to revive the Missionary District of Western Colorado. The 1919 General Convention voted that the Missionary District of Western Colorado be retroceded to the Diocese of Colorado, which now includes the entire state of Colorado.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.