Western North Carolina, Diocese of
The diocese was created in Oct. 1895 when the General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of North Carolina. It was first called the Missionary District of Asheville and held its primary convention at Trinity Church, Asheville, Nov. 12-13, 1895. On Apr. 26, 1922, the convention voted to change the name to the Diocese of Western North Carolina. On Oct. 18-19, 1922, the primary convention of the diocese met at the Church of the Ascension, Hickory. It consists of the following counties: Alexander, Allegheny, Ashe, Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Cherokee, Clay, Cleveland, Gaston, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Lincoln, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania, Watauga, Wilkes, and Yancey. On Jan. 1, 1995, All Soul's Church, Asheville, became All Soul's Cathedral.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.