Zabriskie, Alexander Clinton
(Jan. 21, 1898-June 24, 1956). Priest and educator. He was born in New York City. Zabriskie received his B.A. in 1920 from Princeton University and his B.D. in 1924 from the Virginia Theological Seminary. He was ordained deacon on June 15, 1924, and served at St. John's Church, New York. He was ordained priest on Dec. 20, 1924. He soon joined the faculty at Virginia Seminary, where he taught church history. From 1931 until 1940 he was professor of medieval and modern church history. From 1940 until 1950 he was the dean of Virginia Seminary. Under his leadership the parish of Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill was organized in May 1941, and Zabriskie served as its first rector. In 1946 the seminary gave a parcel of its land to the parish on which to build a rectory, a parish hall, and later a chapel, named Zabriskie Chapel. Zabriskie resigned as dean in 1950 and returned to teaching church history. He edited and contributed to Anglican Evangelicalism (1943). Zabriskie died in Alexandria.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.