Observing Advent in spiritual, faithful avenues via social media are being conducted by the Episcopal Church Office of Communication.
Advent is the liturgical season that occurs four weeks prior to Christmas, beginning on Sunday, December 2. Advent is a time of reflection and preparation.
- The Episcopal Church Facebook page www.facebook.com/episcopalian and Twitter twitter.com/iamepiscopalian features special Advent and Christmas elements such as conversation-starting inquiries, a word of the day, and videos.
- On December 2, an Advent Calendar goes live on the Episcopal Church IAmEpiscopalian Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/iamepiscopalian/advent-calendar/. The Office of Communication has partnered with the Brothers of the religious order The Society of Saint John the Evangelist (SSJE) to create the Advent Calendar. Each day of Advent a new image will appear on Pinterest linked to a meditation from the Brothers’ brief daily devotional “Brother, Give Us A Word.”
- To engage children in a more active role during worship this Advent, the Episcopal Church is offering a four-week series of lectionary-based children's sermons at no fee, providing clergy and lay leaders with step-by-step instructions on how to help the children lead the adults in worship: http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/stw/childrens-sermons. The sermons are also available in Spanish on the Sermones que Iluminan website: http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/stw-es/sermones-de-ninos.
- Episcopal Church Young Adult Ministries is offering an Advent Meditation Blog at: http://library.episcopalchurch.org/page/2012-advent-meditations http://episcopalgenerations.wordpress.com/
- Youth ministries Office is offering the d365 daily devotional, for Advent through the Feast of the Epiphany in January. Named “Following the Star”, the devotions are presented through an ecumenical partnership with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and the Presbyterian Church USA. Available at www.d365.org
The Episcopal Church: www.episcopalchurch.org
Society of St John the Evangelist: http://ssje.org