The Rt. Rev. Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright, Provisional Bishop of New York, and the Rev. John McVickar, superintendent of the Society for Promoting Religion and Learning, both urged the diocese to establish a church school to prepare young men for entrance to the General Theological Seminary, New York City. John Bard (1819-1899), president of the New York Life Insurance and Trust Company, and his wife, Margaret Johnston Bard (d. 1875), gave part of their estate in 1860 to establish a college in Annandale. On Mar. 20, 1860, St. Stephen's College was chartered by the New York state legislature. The school was established under the leadership of the Rt. Rev. Horatio Potter, Provisional Bishop of New York. On May 24, 1934, the name was changed to Bard College in honor of the original benefactors. It is a coeducational, liberal arts college, and a member of the Association of Episcopal Colleges.
Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.