Although we just moved into Epiphany, it seems that Lent is already around the corner. Ash Wednesday is early this year – February 13.
I know that some of you are in the midst of putting together your Lenten programs. Hopefully, this list of resources, program ideas, and family devotional guides will jump start your Lenten planning.
From Candle Press:
- Table Cards, a set of 5 Lent Table Card Tents to go home with families to help them create their own tradition for Lent.
- Through the Cross, a guide through Holy Week for families with young children.
From Leader Resources:
- Celebrating Seasons: Prayer Lessons for Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter provides a wealth of ideas and activities for all seasons. An Ash Wednesday service, lessons on foods for all the major days in Lent, Stations of the Cross and the Seven Last Words are just a few examples. These lessons are great for Sunday School teachers or those doing a Children’s program during the adult Advent or Lent program time.
- From Caterpillar to Cocoon to Butterfly offers congregations a thematic approach for communicating the message of Lent and Easter. Centered around the life cycle of a Monarch butterfly, a different stage of its development serves as a symbol each week for the process of spiritual growth during Lent.
- Know Chocolate: Family Time uses the growth & manufacturing process for chocolate as a metaphor for talking about spiritual growth during Lent and Easter. These little devotions are perfect for busy families – includes short readings and prayers for each Sunday, plus optional suggestions for simple family activities during the week.
- Know Chocolate for Lent offers a thematic approach for communicating the message of Lent and Easter to children, youth and adults. Also available as an e-book.
From Church Publishing:
- What We Do in Lent: A Child’s Activity Book includes fun-filled activities for home, pew, or church school, help children ages 4-7 learn about the seasons of Lent and Easter.
- 2013 Journey Through Lent poster (pack of 25) is a journey of simple devotions and thoughtful meditations leading through the 40 days from Ash Wednesday through Easter week. Jay Sidebotham’s light-hearted cartoons and text help decipher the meaning of the Passion Gospel and the Easter season.
- Growing Together: Sacred Celebrations for Spring and Summer is a series of four downloadable volumes of intergenerational celebrations for use in a variety of church settings.
- Full list of Lenten resources and the Lenten catalog from Church Publishing.
I am certain this is not an exhaustive list. Please add any resources you know of in the comments below.