GC80 Evening Update: Sunday, July 10
GC80 Daily Updates from the Office of Public Affairs are morning and evening roundups of news, events, and resources related to the 80th General Convention, July 8-11 in Baltimore.
Recordings: Find recordings of all legislative sessions and media briefings on The Episcopal Church GC80 Media Hub. (Look for drop-down menu in upper left corner of each livestream box when opened.)
The third day of the 80th General Convention of The Episcopal Church began with Sunday Eucharist in the House of Bishops and House of Deputies that included a pre-recorded sermon, titled “Tear Down the Walls,” by the Rt. Rev. Eugene Taylor Sutton, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland.
The Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget, and Finance made a budget presentation on Sunday afternoon to a joint session of both houses. The House of Deputies also elected its next vice president of the house, the Rev. Rachel Taber-Hamilton of the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia.
Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Michael Curry’s comments to House of Bishops on July 9
Office of Public Affairs
In a proposed Mind of the House resolution on Saturday, July 9, The Episcopal Church House of Bishops addressed many threats to democracy and deep divisions in the United States, including the rise of Christian nationalism. The Rt. Rev. Jennifer Baskerville-Burrows, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, asked Presiding Bishop Michael Curry what he wants the agenda of the Episcopal bishops to be. This is how he responded:
#GC80 Daily Show
The #GC80 Daily Show, produced by the Office of Communication, showcases the good work of Episcopal leaders and initiatives from around the church. Episodes are released each day on the Media Hub and included in these updates. Today’s episode features the Rev. Christine McCloud, canon for mission in the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland.
Livestream schedule (watch on GC80 Media Hub)
- Monday, July 11
- 8:30-9:30 a.m.: Morning Prayer, sermon by Julia Ayala Harris, president-elect of the House of Deputies (worship bulletin)
- 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Legislative Session (House of Bishops and House of Deputies)
- 2:30-5 p.m.: Legislative Session (House of Bishops and House of Deputies)
- Office of Public Affairs’ GC80 page
- General Convention Office Virtual Binder
- General Convention Office GC80 resource page
- House of Deputies website
- Episcopal News Service
- Be sure to visit—and share the link to—gceighty.org, a special site created by GC80’s host diocese, the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland. The site offers virtual (and in-person) walking tours of Baltimore, a virtual exhibit booth highlighting the diocese’s work in truth and reconciliation and reparations, and much more.