GC80 Morning Update: Sunday, July 10
Greetings on the third day of The Episcopal Church’s 80th General Convention in Baltimore. These morning and evening updates from the Office of Public Affairs provide roundups of news, events, and resources related to GC80, which runs through July 11.
Join us live: All worship services and legislative sessions of the House of Deputies and House of Bishops, as well as media briefings and postings of #GC80 Daily Shows, are livestreamed on The Episcopal Church GC80 Media Hub.
What’s happening today?
The Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance will make a budget presentation to a joint session of the House of Bishops and House of Deputies this afternoon. Today’s legislative session in the House of Deputies will include the election of the next vice president of the house (see candidates).
- 8:30-10 a.m.: Sunday Eucharist; sermon by the Rt. Rev. Eugene Taylor Sutton, bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Maryland (worship bulletin)
- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Legislative Session (House of Bishops and House of Deputies)
- 2:30-5:30 p.m.: Legislative Session (House of Bishops and House of Deputies)
- Includes Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance budget presentation to a joint session of both houses
- 7:30-9:30 p.m.: Legislative Session (as needed)
- Time TBD: Election of House of Deputies vice president
Note: Worship services are held in each house, with a prerecorded sermon streamed in both.
Legislative sessions take place in both houses concurrently (in English and Spanish).
Which resolutions are on today’s calendar?
- Check the General Convention Office’s virtual binder to find the legislative and consent calendars for the House of Deputies and House of Bishops.
- The House of Deputies has 109 resolutions today on its calendars.
- The House of Bishops has 86 resolutions on its calendars today.
- Total number of resolutions for GC80: 425. Resolutions completed after Day 2: 176.
- Looking for a specific resolution? View all resolutions or search by number or keyword.
- Wonder how a resolution moves through General Convention? View this helpful infographic from the Episcopal Church in Connecticut.
Bishops Chart the Prayer Book’s Future
The Living Church
The House of Bishops voted unanimously Saturday evening to clarify the definition of the Book of Common Prayer in the church’s constitution, while proposing steps to classify dozens of additional liturgical texts approved in recent decades. The resolution, FA031, was hammered out as a compromise by a diverse group of bishops, including Andy Doyle of Texas, who led his colleagues through two hours of study and discussion on it before they took action.
Bishops Address Racism, Global Conflicts
The Living Church
The House of Bishops focused on international conflict and new initiatives to counter racism on the morning of the 80th General Convention’s second day. Acting on resolutions approved Friday after dramatic testimony in the House of Deputies, the bishops endorsed creating the Episcopal Coalition for Racial Equity and Justice, a voluntary society “dedicated to the work of becoming the Beloved Community,” as well as funding a series of projects aimed at healing the “intergenerational trauma” caused by Indigenous Boarding Schools.
- Monday, July 11
- 8:30-9:30 a.m.: Morning Prayer, sermon by Julia Ayala Harris, president-elect of the House of Deputies
- 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Legislative Session
- 2:30-5 p.m.: Legislative Session
- Office of Public Affairs’ GC80 page
- General Convention Office GC80 resource page
- House of Deputies website
- Episcopal News Service
- Be sure to visit—and share the link to—gceighty.org, a special site created by GC80’s host diocese, the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland. The site offers virtual (and in-person) walking tours of Baltimore, a virtual exhibit booth highlighting the diocese’s work in truth and reconciliation and reparations, and much more.