An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church

Glossary of Terms


Wood Bridge Newsletter, The

Published by members of the Anglo-Orthodox Society in the Diocese of Albany to bring the society to the attention of Episcopalians. The Anglo-Orthodox Society was founded in England. Its purpose is the “revival of Orthodoxy within the Anglican Communion, and the promotion of unity in truth.” Its members “affirm the true Faith of Anglicans is […]

Worcester, Elwood

(May 16, 1862-July 19, 1940). Founder of the Emmanuel Movement. He was born in Massillon, Ohio, and grew up in Rochester, New York. Worcester graduated from Columbia College in 1887 and then studied at General Theological Seminary. From 1888 until 1890 he was superintendent of the Sunday School at St. Ann's, Brooklyn. He was ordained […]

Word of God, The

This phrase can indicate the effective and creative verbal expression of God's power; or the Holy Scriptures that were written under God's inspiration; or Jesus Christ, the Logos, the eternal Son of God, the Word made flesh (Jn 1:1-14). The power of God's creative word is shown in Genesis (1:3) when God said “'let there […]

Words of Administration (of Communion)

Ministers of the sacrament say these words as the bread and wine are given to the communicants. In a Rite 2 Eucharist, the ministers may say “The Body (Blood) of our Lord Jesus Christ keep you in everlasting life” or “The Body of Christ, the bread of heaven/The Blood of Christ, the cup of salvation” […]

Words of Institution

See Institution Narrative.

Wordsworth, Christopher

(Oct. 30, 1807-Mar. 21, 1885). Hymn writer and bishop. A nephew of the poet William Wordsworth, he was born at Lambeth, where his father was rector. He was educated at Winchester School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he served as a fellow from 1830 to 1836. Wordsworth was headmaster at Harrow School, 1836-1844. He was […]

Worship

The term, from the Anglo Saxon, means to pay someone what is their due. It was used in the sixteenth century relative to God and human beings. In the Sarum and English Prayer Book marriage rites, the groom said to the bride, ” . . . with my body I thee worship.” Certain British magistrates […]

Worthington College, Worthington, Ohio

Former church-related college. In the summer of 1817 the Rev. Philander Chase moved to Worthington and soon became principal of the academy there. On Feb. 8, 1819, the legislature gave the academy a college charter and Chase became president. In 1821 Chase moved to Cincinnati, and in 1828 the teachers and students moved to Kenyon […]

Wright, Elizabeth Evelyn

(Lizzie) (Apr. 3, 1872-Dec. 14, 1906). Pioneer educator among African Americans. She was born in Talbotton, Georgia. Wright was the seventh child of an African American carpenter and former slave, John Wesley Wright, and a full-blooded Cherokee Indian mother, Virginia Rolfe. Wright graduated from Tuskegee Industrial School in 1894. She was determined to open schools […]

Wuhu, Missionary District of

On Oct. 11, 1910, the House of Bishops voted to divide the Missionary District of Hankow in China and create the Missionary District of Wuhu. It was known as the Missionary District of Wuhu until Oct. 17, 1913, when the name was changed to the Missionary District of Anking. It became a part of the […]

Wulfstan

(c. 1008-Jan. 18, 1095). Bishop of Worcester during the Norman Conquest. He was born in Long Itchington, near Warwick, England, and educated at the monastic schools at Evesham and Peterborough. Wulfstan was ordained between 1033 and 1038. He became a monk at Worcester, where he later became prior. On Sept. 8, 1062, he was consecrated […]

Wycliffe, John

(c. 1330-1384). English reformer of the fourteenth century. Wycliffe was born in Ipreswell (now Hipswell) in Yorkshire, England. He entered Oxford University around 1345 and received his doctorate in theology around 1372. Wycliffe was appointed rector of Fillingham, Lincolnshire, in 1361, warden of Canterbury Hall in 1365, rector of Ludgershall in 1368, and finally rector […]

Wyoming, Diocese of

Wyoming was part of the Missionary District of the Northwest from Oct. 19, 1859, until Oct. 21, 1865, when it came under the jurisdiction of the Missionary District of Colorado and Parts Adjacent. From Oct. 4, 1866, until Oct. 30, 1874, it was part of the Missionary District of Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. On […]

Yahwist, or Jahwist, The

Name given to one of the four sources of the Pentateuch by scholars who accept the Documentary Theory of the Pentateuch's composition. It is called the Yahwist because it uses the name Yahweh for God from the time of creation (Gn 2). It is found in the books of Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, and perhaps Judges […]

Yale Converts

On Sept. 13, 1722, the day after commencement at Yale College, seven Congregationalist clergy from Connecticut met with the Yale trustees and announced that they questioned the validity of their ordinations. The seven were Timothy Cutler, rector of Yale College, Daniel Brown, tutor at Yale College, Samuel Johnson, minister at Stratford, James Wetmore, minister at […]

Yedo, Missionary District of

The General Convention of 1874 constituted Japan a missionary district and named it the Missionary District of Yedo. Its name was changed to the Missionary District of Tokyo in 1893.

York College, York, Pennsylvania

York College traces its origins to an academy founded in 1787 by the Rev. John Andrews (1746-1813), rector of St. John's Church. The Diocese of Central Pennsylvania took over the school in 1873. The first two principals were the Rev. Octavius Perinchief (d. 1877), and the Rev. Henry Lafayette Phillips (1830-1906). It no longer has […]

Young Christian Soldier, The

Periodical for youth published by the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society from 1867 to 1911. Its editors included Marie H. Bullfinch 1867-71, Susan Lavinia Emery, 1871-74, and Julia Chester Emery, 1874-76. The magazine was published monthly until 1873 when it absorbed another journal, Carrier Dove, and became a weekly magazine. Seeking to involve children in […]

Young Churchman Company, The

A publishing company founded in 1885. In 1918 its name was changed to Morehouse Publishing Company. Young Churchman published hundreds of books during its existence.

Young Churchman’s Miscellany, The

This monthly magazine had the subtitle “A Magazine of Religious and Entertaining Knowledge.” It was published at New York from Jan. 1846 until Dec. 1848. The editor and proprietor was Jesse Ames Spencer (1816-1898), an Episcopal priest.

2647 records

Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.